Our PORTER-CABLE DNA
See why millions of professionals choose PORTER-CABLE. From our rich history and proven performance to our focus on innovation and technology.
WE BUILT OUR REPUTATION THE HARD WAY
Our Story of Innovation
We started building quality tools over 100 years ago, and we never stopped. From one industry first to the next, we’ve consistently set the standard for quality, performance, and reliability. That’s why we’ve been trusted for generations by those who stake their reputation on professional results.
- 1906 PORTER-CABLE begins as a jobbing machine and tool shop.
- 1910 Readily merchandisable product manufacturing begins with a pencil sharpener, automatic tire pump, and gas lamps.
- 1926 First portable belt sander is introduced.
- 1928 Circular Saw design is revolutionized with our compact High-Speed Helical Gear Drive Saw that would become the industry standard.
- 1953 First portable Band Saw is introduced.
- 1963 First High-Speed, Small-Orbit Finishing Sander is unveiled.
- 1985 Model 518 3 HP Router is introduced with internal micro-processor technology and a digital readout.
- 1987 The first affordable, portable Plate Joiner in North America becomes available.
- 1992 First Palm-Grip Electric Random Orbit Sander hits the market.
- 1995 Our redesigned line of Reciprocating Saws includes the first with a tool-free blade change system.
- 2003 After 60 years leading the router category, 890 Series Routers are released featuring above-the-table height adjustment.
- 2004 4200 Series Dovetail Jigs make dovetail cuts easier than ever before.